We live in a world where taking out time to go to a parlour can seem like a stressful thought! As a woman, there is a need to take care of your body. By waxing your legs and arms, you can be hairless and beautiful.
We do not suggest you to shave your legs because it is not great for the texture of your skin! We will get there later but as of now, we are here to tell you about the ways to wax your legs at home.
Yes! It is possible to wax your legs at home. You do not have to go all the way to a parlour to get your legs waxed! Majority of the women would be wondering whether they will get the same smooth texture or not! Truth is that you are saving time and money plus not all women are comfortable going to a parlour.
We have seen that some women are conscious about going to the parlour. If they wish to get their full legs waxed, they may not seem comfortable showing off their full legs to the parlour attendant.
What to do in such instances? You can only trust yourself and do it at home! You do not have to be a professional to wax your legs at home. All you need is some basic tools and wax strips.
This post covers everything you need to know about waxing and how you can do it at home!
Before heading on to the ways of waxing your legs, let us take a look at the benefits of doing it at home! This will convince you that it is a great experience and much more convenient as compared to going to the parlour and spending a fortune!
- The Benefits of Waxing at Home
- Some Preparation Tips
- The Two Types of Waxes
- How to Wax your Legs at Home
- Some Basic FAQS
- Words from the Wise
The Benefits of Waxing at Home
- Nobody is watching! Since you are home, nobody is there to watch you and make you feel uncomfortable. A parlour consists of too many people and you may feel conscious to get a full leg wax!
- Sometimes the parlour lady may burn your legs with the extremely hot wax! It is painful and she just takes it as her job! When you are waxing at home, you have the power to take care of the temperature of the wax and you will certainly NOT get the burns!
- You do not have to shell extra bucks. You are waxing at home which means you do not have to spend a fortune. Some parlours are expensive and full leg wax means shelling out more money!
- Who is going to drive you to the parlour? We live in a busy world and there is so much to do! It is best to do it yourself and save time! You do not have to go anywhere plus you are getting silky and smooth skin at home! Burning your petrol is an additional cost which you can avoid by waxing at home. It sounds like a brilliant idea!
Let’s get started!
Some Preparation Tips
Before waxing at home, you need to keep some preparation tips in your mind. Since you are new to this, you might as follow these tips for successful results.
- You need to make sure that the area that you are waxing should be clean. You can use talcum powder on the area as it makes the area soft and non-oily or sweaty. When there is sweat on your skin, it becomes hard to wax the area. Use a generous amount of talcum powder on the area before waxing.
- Keep a plastic knife with you. This is needed for spreading the wax evenly on your leg. You can find it in any shop near you. You can even buy it online! It is easily available.
- Buy a toner as this would be needed for reducing inflammation. Do note that waxing tends to cause inflammation and you would need to rub some toner after waxing your legs.
- Do not wax your legs after a warm or hot shower. This is a big NO! Give yourself some time to dry up and clean up.
The Two Types of Waxes
There are two types of waxes and we have listed the advantages and disadvantages of both. You can pick the best for yourself! As we said, this is an elaborate post and you will find everything that you need to know about waxing.
Advantages – Hair removal is efficient and one can remove hair within one single application.
- It is painful
- It can be messy
- The temperature should be right else it will burn your skin. Ouch!
- It is not ideal for upper lip wax. It makes the skin hard.
- Cleaner as compared to hot wax
- Less painful
- It comes in pre-packaged form with strips.
- Repeated application may be required for this. It can cause skin redness and irritation.
- It does not make hair removal so easy! Hot wax adheres to the hair in a better way.
How to Wax your Legs at Home
We are going to share some DIY tips with you and you would be amazed that you do not require a professional to do it for you! You can use kitchen ingredients to wax at home.
You can use 1 cup of granulated sugar, 1 tbsp water, 1 cup of honey and ½ cup of lemon juice to make wax at home. Firstly, you would need to melt the sugar. After melting the sugar, you need to add the honey and lemon juice. Continue to stir it and it should be of the consistency of a pancake. Let it cool slightly and then use it. You can even keep it in the refrigerator and use it later.
How to wax efficiently?
Step one – Warm up the wax at the right temperature. You can use a warmer to do so! Make sure the wax is not too hot!
Step two – Dust some talcum powder or baby powder before waxing your legs. This is important.
Step three – If you live in an area which is humid and you tend to get sweaty then turn on the air conditioner. Your skin should be free from sweat else the waxing will be difficult.
Step Four – Check the length of the hair. It should be at least ¼ inch or 1/8 inch long. If the hair on your legs is too short then you will not be able to wax it efficiently. If the hair is too long then you may experience a bit of discomfort to remove the hair.
Step Five – Prepare the strips! You can easily get the strip in the market. If not, you can use a linen or cotton shirt. Tear it up and make strips out of it. Make sure these are clean!
Step Six – Use a stick to apply the wax. You can use a plastic stick or a wooden spatula to do it. You need to apply the hot wax on the direction of the hair growth.
Step Seven – Now press the fabric strip on the wax. Press firmly. Let it cool!
Step Eight – Ouch! Now pull the strip against the direction of the hair growth. Yes, it will hurt a bit but you would be able to see the perfect result! Pull it at a shallow angle and not at 90 degrees.
Note – If you have any leftover wax, you can store it in the refrigerator! Why to waste it? Your sister or friend may need it. After all, you have become a wax champion now!
Some Basic FAQS
Dearest girl gang! You may have some common queries in your head and we are here to answer them. We tried to get into your heads and came up with some queries that need to be answered. Find them below!
How to wax legs at home without experiencing excruciating pain?
The good news is that there are many ways to reduce pain caused by waxing. The men do not know as to how much pain it causes but they would know it if they try it! In order to reduce the pain, you must start small!
Apply the wax on a small area of your leg. Start with your ankle and then move to other areas. Do not apply wax on the whole area because it will get dry and hard to remove. Start small and then move to other areas of your leg!
You can do something to distract yourself. Watch a horror movie or listen to music. You can even talk to a girlfriend of yours and share some latest gossip. This would maybe distract you! Distraction is not the key! The key is to reduce the pain. You can even try a numbing cream before waxing. Lidocaine is the most common ingredient in numbing creams.
We can suggest you some products:
What are the pros and cons of waxing legs?
When you shave the hair on your legs, it does not remove the hair completely. Also, majority of the women get dark legs after shaving. Waxing is a better option because it removes the hair completely and you would not get the growth for at least 15 days! Waxed legs look smoother and shinier!
The only downside of the waxing legs is that you may have to experience pain! If the wax is too hot, your legs may get burnt. Sometimes the parlour girl or boy may not care about the temperature of the wax and they would happily burn your legs! It is best to trust yourself. We have seen many women who got their legs waxed and later, they got spots on their legs.
How do I heat the wax? Is there any product for heating the wax?
We are here to help you! We are not here to promote any product. Nonetheless, we are happy to share certain products that help you to heat wax. It is important for you to heat the wax at the right temperature. You must buy a wax warmer in that case. Do not heat the wax over a stove. It is not the correct way!
Luxuria Rara sells a Wax Warmer/Melting machine which is affordable and easy to use.
You would find that the product has received positive reviews. It can melt any type of wax and it is known for its durability and safety.
You can buy hot wax from anywhere! You can even find it on Amazon.
eXuby sells wax warmer kit
This product has automatic temperature control and it includes hard wax which is better than the wax beans. You are getting the full kit at a discounted price.
Who shouldn’t wax?
If you have a skin condition then you must avoid waxing your legs. In case you have dermatitis or a rash on your skin, you must avoid waxing. You can speak to a dermatologist before opting for any hair removal method whether it is chemicals or wax.
You must be careful! Do not visit a parlour to get waxed with a skin condition. We would not suggest you to even do it at home! You need a dermatologist and their professional opinion before waxing your legs.
What if my skin gets redness and irritation after waxing?
Redness and irritation is a normal consequence after waxing. If you feel sore or the redness is bothering you, you can ease the area by using an ice pack. You can even apply lidocaine to numb the pain. Even Neosporin helps to get relief from the pain and irritation.
Words from the Wise
You can buy the wax from the market or prepare your own! We would suggest you to avoid using razors, chemical creams and laser treatments. We always suggest our girls to wax and even though it hurts, it still gives you perfect results. Nobody wants dark and spotty legs! When you use chemicals or shave the skin, it gets darker! It is best to use wax instead of harmful chemicals.
Now that you have elaborate knowledge about waxing at home, you can do it yourself and even help a friend to do it! Feel free to ask us anything that we did not cover in this post! Also, show us some love by liking our post and sharing it with your girl gang!