No need to mention that the skin represents the largest organ of the human body. And because of that, it needs to be well taken care of. You may think that putting a bit of primer and makeup is enough, however, you’re wrong. Why fake flawless skin when you can have perfectly smooth skin without putting tons and tons of makeup on your face?
Isn’t it better to try to improve your skin texture instead of covering up your flaws?
If you believe that you’re the only one dealing with bad skin tone, you’re wrong again. No one has perfect skin. But instead of trying to learn a new makeup trick today, I will teach you a few helpful tricks on how to get rid of a textured skin.
You might improve skin texture without buying expensive skincare products. If you’re unfamiliar with this issue and you’re still wondering what’s textured skin and what causes it, keep reading.
What is textured skin?
Skin texture represents the surface condition of your skin. If you have smooth and soft skin that’s well hydrated and has elastin and collagen support, it means that your skin texture is good. However, if it’s dry, dull, rough, coarse, and sun damaged, it means you’re dealing with uneven textured skin.
To check the condition of your skin right now, feel it with your fingers. Preferably, your facial skin, as well as the skin covering your body should be smooth and soft. But, if you’re dealing with irregular coarse skin, it may be a result of aging, sun damage, poor exfoliation or using the wrong skin care products.
Also, during winter, you might be dealing with uneven dry skin texture too. I know how frustrating this can be because it’s not only making you feel uncomfortable but is also ruining your look by not letting your makeup apply smoothly. So, why is this happening?
What causes textured skin and can you get rid of it somehow?
As you can assume, not all skin areas are equally exposed to sunlight. Meaning, it can cause uneven skin tone. Sun damage can weaken the elastin and collagen in your skin.
Smoking can also affect your skin in a negative manner. It weakens the elastin and collagen responsible for elasticity just like the sun and speeds up the aging process.
Aging is also a common reason for uneven skin tone and bad skin texture. As you age, cells don’t regenerate so quickly as before, so it results in a rough skin because of the dead cells cluttering on the surface. If your skin is dehydrated, it might appear rough to the touch because of the lack of moisture. And yes, there are a few natural ways to get rid of the textured skin and get that flawless looking skin you’ve been dreaming of.
How to get rid of uneven skin texture on the face?
First and foremost, you should pay attention to your skincare routine and your diet.
So, according to skincare experts and you probably know this yourself, the key to smooth skin is cleansing. You need to thoroughly and deeply clean your skin on a daily basis to prevent dead cells to clutter on the surface and leave you with an uneven skin texture and clogged pores. Clean up, freshen and allow your skin to breath freely.
Next is nutrition. Good nutrition is also important for your skin texture. If you want that healthy radiant skin, you have to pay close attention to your diet and make sure you’re not suffering from mineral deficiency because this is also a common reason for uneven skin texture.
However, medical conditions such as Lupus, Thyroid disorders or hormonal changes may affect your skin too. Nonetheless, if you consume the essential fatty acids and minerals, you will help and support your skin to stay healthy and soft.
You may or may not know, that most of us lack silicon (NOT the actual silicone) but an element that functions with calcium to provide elasticity to the strength of our nails, teeth, and hair. Now, the fibrous parts of the plant are the richest in silicon. However, these fibrous parts are often excluded from our diet, especially from western diets.
Two best sources of silicon are Horsetail and Dulse. Horsetail is a herb and it’s a vital mineral, while dulse represents a seaweed. They’re both excellent for improving skin texture. If you ever get the chance to explore seaweed, you will notice that it’s very flexible and cannot be easily torn down.
It’s because of the silicon. It adds elasticity to the strength of the plant. Besides silicon, this plant is also rich in iodine, meaning it will also help you improve the function of the thyroid gland and improve your overall health.
What should be my daily routine to fix textured skin?
As I mentioned before, your daily routine is crucial in improving your skin texture and getting rid of uneven skin tone. So, if you want to improve the texture and look of your skin, pay attention to what products you use and how you use them because if you have good skin texture, your skincare products must contain large amounts of antioxidants.
If you’re wondering what antioxidants are, they’re necessary because they cancel out the free radicals existing in the environment, mainly in UV radiation. Free radicals steal the electrons from other atoms and result in oxidation. This can damage your skin cells and reduce the elastic and collagen support which results in loose and weak facial skin.
So, if you want to improve your skin texture but also protect it at the same time, I say you buy skincare products with antioxidants in the forms of vitamins E, C, and A. Try a skin peel containing pumpkin enzymes to get rid of the rough skin.
If you’re looking for corrective skin formulations, I recommend the superoxide dismutase and ascorbic acid polypeptide. They’ve quite effective when it comes to improving skin care texture.
To conclude, if you want to improve your skin texture and get that beautiful glowing skin, make sure to clean your skin thoroughly and use skincare products that match the issue you’re trying to solve. Also, pay attention to your nutrition. Consume more silicon.
Skincare routine for improving oily/combination skin texture
If you’re dealing with oily/combination skin, you should use a skin cleanser with salicylic acid, holy basil, neem, or tea tree oil. It’s anti-bacterial and will help you deal with acne.
After, you should apply an alcohol-free toner to completely remove the oiliness and tighten up your skin pores. It will make your skin look more attractive too. Once you have that covered, apply an oil-free, lightweight moisturizer.
It will prevent your skin pores from getting blocked. Don’t forget to apply sunscreen too, especially if you plan to go out in the sun to prevent sun damage. You can repeat the same routine at night.
This is the daily skin care routine that will improve your skin texture after time. You can also apply an anti-aging cream if you’re older than 25, or a night cream to keep your skin looking youthful and slow down the aging process. Another important thing I forgot to mention is exfoliation.
In order to improve your skin texture, you should exfoliate at least two or three times a week and use a mask at least 2 times a week. You can either buy both or make your own face scrub and face mask at home using natural ingredients.
If you want to learn how to make your own scrubs and masks, I have a few recipes for you at the end. But first, let’s present the routine to improve dry/normal skin texture.
Skincare routine for improving dry/normal skin texture
If you have normal or dry skin, I recommend you use a creamy facial cleanser that will keep your skin hydrated. If you use the wrong product it will damage the ph balance of your skin and leave you with a dry skin and uneven skin texture.
I also recommend you use a creamy and moisturizing cream before you go to bed to keep your skin hydrated at night too. It’s also important to exfoliate your skin, despite the fact it’s dry/normal. Every skin needs exfoliation from time to time. And for a dry or normal one, I suggest you do it once a week and apply a face mask two times a week.
Natural remedies to get rid of textured skin immediately
As I promised, I will present a few recipes for homemade face scrub and face mask. They all require natural ingredients to make. I recommend you use homemade skincare products before the ones you buy at stores because is better knowing the ingredients of the skin care products you use. Let’s jump to the recipes and get you that soft skin.
Recipe 1: Skin scrub for oily/combination skin
- Ingredients: 1 teaspoonful of sugar, 2 teaspoonfuls of honey, ½ teaspoonful of lemon.
- Preparation: Mix all the ingredients together and leave aside for a couple of minutes.
- Application: Apply to the face and scrub it between 5 and 7 minutes. Wash off with cold water. Repeat three times a week if you want visible results in oily skin texture.
Recipe 2: Skin scrub for dry/normal skin
- Ingredients: 2 teaspoonfuls of honey, 1 teaspoonful of oatmeal, ½ teaspoonful of sugar.
- Preparation: Mix all the ingredients together and leave aside for five minutes.
- Application: Apply to the face gently. Scrub it to get rid of the dead skin cells. Repeat once or 2 times a week if you want to see visible results in skin texture and complexion.
Recipe 3: Tomato face mask to improve skin texture
- Ingredients: 1 teaspoonful of honey, 2 teaspoonfuls of tomato juice.
- Preparation: Mix the ingredients together and you will get a lotion.
- Application: Apply to the face and massage for at least five minutes. Leave it to soak in for 15 minutes and then wash off our face with warm water. It’s suitable for every skin type, especially sensitive because it improves the texture and provides a natural glow.
Recipe 4: Gram flour face mask to improve skin texture
- Ingredients: 2 teaspoonfuls of gram flour, milk.
- Preparation: Mix the ingredients in a small bowl. Put as much milk as needed to make a paste out of it. Leave aside for a few minutes before you apply it to your face and neck.
- Application: Apply to the face and neck if you wish. Leave it for 20 min and wash off with warm water. Repeat this for at least two times a week to get visible improvements.
Recipe 5: Egg face mask to improve skin texture
- Ingredients: Egg, ½ teaspoonful of gram flour.
- Preparation: Break the egg in a bowl and use a spoon to take out the egg white. Place it in a separate bowl and add a ½ teaspoonful of gram flour. Mix it together with a spoon.
- Application: Apply to the face and allow it to dry completely. Wash of with cold water. Repeat it at least two times a week if you want a tight skin and improved skin texture.
Extra tips on how to improve skin texture and complexion
Aside from the face scrubs and masks, you can make at home that will help you improve skin texture and complexion, I also have a few tips you can apply to your daily nutrition.
- Avoid junk food. It’s not called “junk” without a reason. It has a negative effect on your skin and overall health. Instead, prepare your own healthy food at home.
- Add Omega 3 fatty acids to your diet to boost the production of elastin and collagen responsible for the flexibility of your skin and help your skin to appear much younger. Consume food such as salmon, cod liver oil, walnut, and flaxseeds.
- Don’t forget water. Consume at least 8 glasses of water throughout the day. Talking about the benefits of drinking water has become a cliche. However, I still feel obligated to mention that water can help you improve skin texture and give you that nice glowing skin. All it takes is to drink it constantly, every day.
- Sleep is also important. So, make sure you give your skin and body at least eight hours of sleep to regenerate. It will definitely help you improve skin complexion.
I hope you find this simple guide on how to get rid of the textured skin and improve complexion useful. I will be happy if you make some of the homemade face scrubs or masks and help yourself feel comfortable in your skin again. See you in the next one.