Choosing between a bralette and a bra is a very subjective decision to make. But when you understand the advantages and disadvantages of both these lingerie items, it becomes a lot easier to choose what is best for you.
You have to consider a lot of factors before you make such a decision. And we will discuss all of them in this complex guide. By the end of this guide, you should understand what bras and bralettes are about and how to use them to always look at your best!
The main difference between a bralette and a bra is the lack of structure. The bralette is more flexible and not as firm as a bra. This is why bralettes might be more comfortable.
- What is the Difference Between a Bralette and a Bra?
- Are bras bad for you?
- Should you wear a bra or a bralette?
- What to Consider if you Want to Wear a Bralette
- What to Consider if you Want to Wear a Bra
- Related Questions
What is the Difference Between a Bralette and a Bra?
A bralette and a bra are two very different pieces of lingerie. They fulfill the same function but in unique ways. First of all, they will offer different support to your breasts.
Bralettes lack the rigid structure of bras. They are a lot more flexible and some would also consider them more comfortable to wear thanks to this lack of rigidity. The cups of a bralette will be softer and less firm than the cups of a bra.
Also, the design of a bralette tends to be a bit more developed than the one of a bra. Since these items are so versatile and easy to wear, they tend to be more complex in terms of patterns and the materials that they are made of. Bralettes used to be intended to accommodate women with smaller breasts. But nowadays, you can find bras for all types of sizes.
On the other hand, a bra is a lot more firm than a bralette. You will notice that the cups of a bra are structured with strong wires to keep them in place. Most women use bras as part of their daily outfits because they offer this structure to the breasts.
However, medical opinions are split when it comes to the necessity of bras for women, beyond the aesthetic advantages. As far as sizes go, bras cover all ranges. You can find the right bra regardless to the size of your breasts so there is no need to worry about this aspect.
Are bras bad for you?
Over the years there were many myths around bras that damaged their reputation. All these myths made room for the appearance of bralettes which seem like a healthier option. But how many of these myths about bras are actually true? Do bras expose you to any health risks? This is what we are going to address as it follows so you can put some light on these myths once and for all!
No, bras don’t cause cancer
One of the gravest myths about bras is that wearing them can cause cancer. No matter how many rumors have been over the years, the truth is that no scientific knowledge backs this fact up. Bras don’t cause cancers. Even if they are not the perfect bras for your breasts. They have no ability to ruin the internal health of your body and they can’t generate such a dramatic disease.
Bras might modify your posture and give you different pains
Yes, bras might have this unpleasant side effect if you don’t wear them right according to your breasts’ needs. So, this myth is somewhat true, as long as the bra you are wearing is either smaller or bigger than what you need.
Such a poor fitting bra can force you to adjust your posture in order to wear it better. This can cause you to sit or walk in unhealthy ways and develop different pains. The most common pains are back pain and neck pain.
But you could also suffer of shoulder pain as well. If you experience a bad posture and such aches, you might start feeling numbness in your body, especially your fingers. So, it is not worth it to choose a bra that doesn’t fit you well!
Bras can be Uncomfortable
This is true but only if you end up with a bra that doesn’t fit you right. If you choose your bra to fit you perfectly you shouldn’t have to deal with any uncomfortable aspects. A well-chosen bra will not be too tight, will not bother you when you move and it will not be limiting your movements at all.
If your bra is not comfortable you might develop low self-esteem. If you lose your self-confidence, you need to look at the type of bra you are wearing as well. A good bra will give you not only confidence in your own body but also the ability to wear more outfits with no concerns.
Extra tip: Bras should be replaced every six months. This is due to the fact that our bodies change as time goes by. The bras also change. They loose their rigidity and might not offer the same type of support. So, make sure to purchase a new bra at least twice a year to stay on the safe side and completely accommodate the needs of your body.
Should you wear a bra or a bralette?
As we mentioned at the beginning of this guide, the decision is a very subjective one. But there are undeniable advantages and disadvantages to both of these options. Ultimately, it will be completely up to you what you go for. But remember that what works for other women might not necessarily be the best choice for you. Knowing your body and needs is key to finding the best bra or bralette and knowing how to wear it the right way.
What to Consider if you Want to Wear a Bralette
Advantages of wearing a bralette:
- First of all, bralettes are a lot more comfortable than bras. You will not even feel that you are wearing them because they are jot rigid at all. This is a great advantage if you like your comfortable clothes and you like to feel free in your outfit.
- Bralettes are also a great choice for smaller breasts. Even if nowadays you can find bralettes for all types of breast sizes, they remain the choice to go to for women that need small sizes.
- They can be a lot more complex in their design. This is a very common reason for choosing bralettes. They come with laces, patterns and some of them are even see-through. These items can be a lot more interesting looking than the classic bras that are so common.
Disadvantages of wearing a bralette
- Bralettes will offer no support to the breasts. Some doctors think this is good because they allow the breasts to develop naturally while others think it can encourage the saggy breasts. Not having a structure can be an aesthetic disadvantage as well. Clothes will look different if you wear a bralette underneath rather than a rigid bra.
- They are not so efficient for large breasts. If you wear a bigger size, you might not be as satisfied as you expected by bralettes. These lingerie items will not keep your breasts in place which can be uncomfortable during different movements or running sessions.
What to Consider if you Want to Wear a Bra
Advantages of wearing a bra:
- Bras offer much better support to your breasts. They give you the feeling that you are wearing a compact lingerie piece that keeps your breasts in place at all times. This can be a real advantage for most women.
- They look good under almost any type of outfit. Nowadays you can find all types of bras. There are strapless bras, bras with half cup designs or full cup designs and they all come in different colors. You can choose a bra that is almost invisible under any type of outfit and that can boost your self-confidence.
- Bras look good in all sizes. If you have small breasts but you want to create the illusion of bigger breasts, you can wear a bra with a thicker cup. If you are happy with your breast size there are bras with thin cups that will not add anything to your original size. Either way, you can definitely find the best one for you regardless to the size of your breasts.
- If you are into sports, a bra can not only support your breasts but also protect them. There are risks of injuries when you perform any type of sports. This is why you can find special bras now that offer you the protection you need.
Disadvantages of wearing a bra:
- They are rigid and can be uncomfortable to wear. The cups of bras are supported by wires. These wires are not the most comfortable details to have on your body. If you are used to it, you might not get bothered by them anymore. But there are plenty of women who choose to wear bralettes especially to avoid these wires.
- There are not so many designs to choose from. Sure, you can find all the colors you can think of but they are all in very similar designs. This can be a disadvantage for some women who like their style and want to wear attractive lingerie.
Can you wear a bra under a Bralette?
Yes, you sure can, as long as you are comfortable with such an arrangement. When you want to enjoy the advantages of both these items, wearing them together makes the most sense. However, you will most likely want to wear the bralette on top of your bra.
This will add a nice design to your bra and ultimately it will compliment your outfit. You get the support you need from your bra and the aesthetic aspects from your bralette which can only be a win-win scenario.
Can you wear a Bralette by itself?
Yes and this is the way bralettes are intended to be used. You should wear it under any type of outfit you are comfortable with just like you would wear your regular bra.
However, for those special events, when you want to look flawless, bras might be a better idea simply because they look more elegant. So, make sure to match your bralette good with not only your outfit but also the occasion you need to attend.
Are bralettes healthier than bras?
There is no definite conclusion when it comes to the health aspect between bras and bralettes. Some doctors recommend wearing bralettes because they don’t lock your breasts the way bras do. Others consider that this is not a relevant aspect.
However, the bottom line is that all doctors agree on the fact that less rigidity in the breast area can only be beneficial, leaving aside the aesthetic aspects. So, in this light, you can consider that bralettes are healthier even if there is not a uniform opinion in this respect.
Are bralettes good for large breasts?
There are bralettes to accommodate all sizes nowadays. But not all of them are recommended. If you have larger breasts, it might not be as comfortable to wear a bralette as you might expect.
They don’t hold your breasts in place and that can be a problem for your daily activities. They also expose you to a lot of hazards because of this aspect so, definitely consider wearing a bra that fits you if you have large breasts.
As you can see, both bras and bralettes can advantages and disadvantages. What really matters is to choose one that is comfortable for you. There are also certain occasions that call for a bra while others call for a bralette.
Keep in mind that bras are more appropriate for elegant outfits or those outfits that stay firm on your body. The bralettes are more comfortable for casual days when you don’t want to look sleek or to impress a wide audience.
But the bottom line is that you can make the most out of both items and even wear them together. It all depends on the size of your breasts and the type of outfit you are going to wear.