Sensitive skin limits your options of body wash. It is no longer just a question of, “Grapefruit and lemongrass or Blooming jasmine and plum?”
Now it is, “Will it give me rashes or a breakout?” or, “What chemicals and preservatives are in this?”
Even when you do find one that meets the criteria, it may not work that well. This is a terrible situation to be in but it is also the situation that I hope to help you remedy through this list of the best body washes for sensitive skin.
The washes in this list will be gentle and effective on your skin. And will, hopefully, expand your current options of body wash. However, first, let’s learn how to choose the best hypoallergenic body wash.
To help you do that, I have put together a list of the top 14 hypoallergenic body washes for you.
- Best Hypoallergenic Body Washes
- 1. Puracy Natural Body Wash, Citrus & Sea Salt, Sulfate-Free Bath, and Shower Gel
- 2. Aveeno Skin Relief Fragrance-Free Body Wash
- 3. Dove Sulfate-Free and Hypoallergenic, Sensitive Skin Body Wash
- 4. VMV Hypoallergenics Essence Body Milk Shampoo
- 5. Avalon Organics Nourishing Lavender Bath & Shower Gel
- 6. Cetaphil Baby Gentle Wash with Organic Calendula
- 7. Queen V Make It Reign Body Wash for Women
- 8. Johnson’s Head-to-Toe Hypoallergenic & Paraben-Free Baby Wash
- 9. Natural Body Wash with Activated Coconut Charcoal
- 10. The Honest Company Perfectly Gentle Sweet Orange Vanilla Shampoo + Body Wash
- 11. Fresh Monster Toxin-free Hypoallergenic 2-in-1 Kids Shampoo & Body Wash
- 12. The Honest Company Shampoo and Body Wash
- 13. ATTITUDE Super Leaves, Hypoallergenic 2 in 1 Shampoo and Body Wash
- 14. Art of Sport Men’s Body Wash with Tea Tree Oil and Aloe Vera
- What body wash is good for sensitive skin?
- Final thoughts
Best Hypoallergenic Body Washes
Let’s review the body washes from my comparison chart in detail before you choose a product that meets your needs and expectations. Make sure to compare their best features and ingredients before you make a purchase.
1. Puracy Natural Body Wash, Citrus & Sea Salt, Sulfate-Free Bath, and Shower Gel
With award-winning, plant-derived formulas and a following of over five million people, Puracy is a great choice when looking for skincare products.
The Puracy Natural Body Wash will hydrate, cleanse, moisturize and care for your skin without leaving any chemical traces behind after the wash.
It comes with coconut-based cleansers that foam up nicely for added effect. And clinical-grade moisturizers that hydrate your skin and lock in moisture.
The sun-ripened citrus and sea salt in this product will leave you smelling like a warm breath of tropical air.
The sea salt also balances and purifies the skin while the product’s all-natural formula means that there are no harsh chemicals that may harm your skin.
This means that there are no sulfates, salicylates, phosphates, petroleum derivatives, perfumes, dyes, caustics or animal by-products to cause harm.
This product also carries a host of other titles that testify to the level of satisfaction that it guarantees. It is
- Made in the USA.
- Certified Cruelty-Free by Leaping Bunny and PETA.
2. Aveeno Skin Relief Fragrance-Free Body Wash
The Aveeno Skin Relief Fragrance-Free Body Wash comes in an 18-fluid ounce bottle and gently cleans, cleanses, purifies and soothes the skin.
It provides especially effective relief to itchy or dry skin and is enriched with oat to soothe and nourish the skin.
The oat in this unique formula also avoids disrupting the natural moisture barriers of your skin. And, therefore, ensures that you have healthy skin that is soft, smooth and has a natural glow.
Your skin ends up moisturized and unexposed to allergens, soap or dye.
This product, part of a brand that has been recommended by skincare experts for over 65 years, couples science with nature to provide a product that is gentle on sensitive skin.
It’s suitable for everyday use. And will leave your skin balanced and healthy. To lock in moisture for a whole day, you can couple this product with the Skin Relief Lotion.
3. Dove Sulfate-Free and Hypoallergenic, Sensitive Skin Body Wash
This product, from Unilever’s Dove line, is a body wash that works great on sensitive skin and also moisturizes.
It is made with exceedingly gentle cleansers and is sulfate-free which reduces the chances of chemicals reacting to your skin.
Its Nutrium moisture technology moisturizes, minimizes skin dryness and delivers natural nutrients to the skin. Thus, making this #1 dermatologist-recommended body wash ideal for dry and sensitive skin.
It is also hypoallergenic and does not contain soap which protects your skin even more. The formula also provides a rich lather for an added effect that is sure to give you that great shower feeling.
4. VMV Hypoallergenics Essence Body Milk Shampoo
Superwash is sure to swoop in and save your day. This product is the solution to all your skin, scalp and hair worries.
If you want to clean and moisturize your hair without drying or leaving a residue, this is the product for you. It also acts a so-soft body wash that is mild on your skin and friendly to your pores.
Keep your skin from your forehead to your feet smooth, clear, healthy and soft with the VMV Super Wash.
Superwash has a 30-year history and is also hypoallergenic and fragrance-free so it will not aggravate any existing allergies that you may have. It comes with the following features:
- Usage and patch tested in vivo and in vitro.
- Dye-phthalate-paraben and preservative-free.
- SLS, allergen, and surfactant-free.
- Suitable for all gender and children above 2 years of age.
5. Avalon Organics Nourishing Lavender Bath & Shower Gel
Avalon Organics Nourishing Lavender Bath and Shower Gel will leave your skin feeling completely cleansed and hydrated.
Its plant-based formula is made with essential oils and organic botanicals to purify and moisturize your skin without irritating it.
This product’s quinoa protein, aloe, and lavender essential oils replenish and soften your skin.
The fact that it contains no harsh chemicals such as parabens, synthetic colors or fragrances, GMO ingredients, sulfates, harsh preservatives or phthalates earns this product verification by EWG.
6. Cetaphil Baby Gentle Wash with Organic Calendula
This body wash is made using an ultra-rich formula that ensures the maintenance of your baby’s skin’s natural moisture barrier. It is enhanced with one third baby lotion which cleans the skin and seals moisture into it.
Cetaphil provides a rich lather and does not dry off, allowing it to keep moisturizing your baby’s skin even after the wash. It is dermatologically tested and is sure to be soft on the skin.
It is also hypoallergenic and does not contain any harmful chemicals such as:
- Mineral oils.
The calendula in its formula provides a calming, moisturizing effect and rinses off clean with a soft, fresh fragrance.
7. Queen V Make It Reign Body Wash for Women
This body wash is royalty among other washes. It is dermatologically-tested and gynecologist-recommended to ensure that it is soft on your skin.
And is guaranteed to be hypo-allergenic, free of parabens, glycerin-free, alcohol-free and pH-balanced.
Its ingredients include aloe vera, mango, green tea, and chamomile extracts to ensure that your skin receives the royal treatment. This is a great change from the harmful chemicals that are usually used in women’s skincare products.
The manufacturing company is made of millennial-focused, female-empowered people who want to provide products that fit the needs of women better.
The fact that this product is vegan-friendly and not tested on animals emphasizes the stand of the company on upholding people’s beliefs.
8. Johnson’s Head-to-Toe Hypoallergenic & Paraben-Free Baby Wash
Johnson’s Head-to-Toe Baby Body Wash and Shampoo is the ideal shampoo to use on your baby’s skin.
It comes in a twin pack which provides value and is guaranteed to be soft on your baby’s sensitive skin. It is a great bath time companion that lets you bond with your baby without the hassle of the skin or eye irritation.
This product is also hypoallergenic and guaranteed not to aggravate your baby’s allergies or, even, your own.
The lack of toxic chemicals such as phthalates, parabens, dyes, sulfates, and artificial fragrances means that this product will be delicate on your baby’s hair and skin.
It is not tested on animals and has a pH-balance that ensures that your baby’s skin’s natural moisture barrier will not be destroyed. It is pediatrician-tested and guaranteed to be an ultra-mild cleanser that your baby will love.
To apply, use warm water and your hands or a washcloth. Lather gently then rinse and massage using Johnson’s Head-to-Toe baby lotion.
9. Natural Body Wash with Activated Coconut Charcoal
This body wash incorporates white lava volcanic materials into its formula to gently exfoliate your skin and remove dead skin which, in turn, promotes the growth of healthy skin cells and eliminates blemishes and dirt.
It will leave your skin looking great. The coconut charcoal in its formula detoxifies and purifies your skin.
It also unclogs your pores and which makes your skin breathe better and leaves it healthy and soft while the aloe vera extract moisturizes it and soothes any inflammation.
The aloe vera also has antioxidant properties that help to detoxify your skin. So, all in all, you get a detoxifier, purifier, moisturizer, exfoliant and anti-inflammatory in one product.
Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. On top of that, the moisture that it seals into your skin makes it a great acne body wash and ideal for sensitive skin.
It is also free of toxins such as parabens, hypoallergenic and not tested on animals. This Made-In-USA product is a great body wash for all skin types and genders.
10. The Honest Company Perfectly Gentle Sweet Orange Vanilla Shampoo + Body Wash
This product from Jessica Alba’s award-winning company comes with a 2-in-1 formula that nourishes, soothes, and cleans your baby’s skin.
It is gentle and, therefore, great for daily use and has a tear-free formula that will not irritate your baby’s eyes.
It also does not contain harmful chemicals such as parabens or sulfates. This leaves the skin and hair soft, clean and moisturized without irritating.
It provides a thick, creamy lather for added effect and does not over-dry which means that it keeps your baby’s skin looking healthy long after the wash.
This product comes in a sweet orange and vanilla scent and works with the nourishing botanicals in its formula to leave your baby’s skin healthy and glowing.
11. Fresh Monster Toxin-free Hypoallergenic 2-in-1 Kids Shampoo & Body Wash
This is a combo body and hair wash that comes in an 8.5-ounce bottle in packages of two bottles each.
This product is toxin-free which means that it does not contain any harsh chemicals that may hurt your child’s skin. It does not contain phthalates, sulfates, dyes, parabens, BPA, artificial fragrances, soy or gluten.
A plant-based and relatively affordable product, given the fact that it works as a combination bath and hair product. Natural fruit and botanical extracts are used in its formula.
This gives it a great scent without any of the toxins that come from artificial scents. The packaging is kid-friendly and comes with a quirky monster on the bottle to enchant and delight kids.
The bottle comes with a re-closeable, goof-proof pump that prevents accidents and makes washes and travels a complete delight. It is hypoallergenic, therefore, will not aggravate your child’s allergies.
12. The Honest Company Shampoo and Body Wash
The Honest Company Shampoo and Body Wash comes in a ten fluid ounce bottle and with a sweet orange vanilla scent.
It is hypoallergenic, moisturizes and soothes your skin and, is also tear-free and non-toxic.
Jessica Alba’s award-winning company made this product.
13. ATTITUDE Super Leaves, Hypoallergenic 2 in 1 Shampoo and Body Wash
This EWG verified body wash will change your attitude towards body washes.
It does not contain dangerous ingredients. Also, PETA approves it. Meaning, it is ideal for vegans. It is environmentally friendly. Meaning, it is sustainable, biodegradable and low in aquatic toxicity.
This shampoo is also chemical-free and does not contain parabens, silicone, sodium Laureth sulfate, formaldehyde, artificial fragrances or perfumes, and PEG.
It, therefore, will not react with sensitive skin or aggravate any existing allergies you may have.
It is a vegan product thanks to the natural plant and mineral-based ingredients. Vegans love this product, so if you are a vegan, this is the perfect product for you and your skin. It earns the EWG verification.
Attitude 2-in-1 contains:
- Ginseng extract for toning hair and stimulating its growth.
- Grapeseed oil which acts as an antioxidant and restores skin and hair.
- Moringa seed extract which detoxifies the skin and scalp and reduces the ability of pollutants to adhere to skin and hair.
Attitude’s masculine scent will leave you smelling like neroli, bergamot and white cedarwood.
This woodsy aroma will change your attitude towards yourself and those of other people towards you. That, coupled with the natural emollients that will hydrate your hair, will leave you feeling fresh and confident.
It will not aggravate your allergies or irritate your scalp. Your skin will love you for using this shampoo and body wash.
This shampoo is environmentally friendly. Only the best natural ingredients are used in its making. Therefore, ensuring that it is biodegradable, non-toxic and does not harm the environment.
14. Art of Sport Men’s Body Wash with Tea Tree Oil and Aloe Vera
Art of Sport energizes and recharges your skin. It has a tried-and-tested formula and specially chosen ingredients. Even its scent will energize you and leave you feeling clean and refreshed.
This body wash will not make your skin dry and, it rinses off. Imagine that, a fresh feeling and no risk of dryness no matter how many times you use it. Then imagine an energizing citrus and green pear scent to boot.
Its clinically tested formula will leave your skin hydrated after a workout and will not react with sensitive skin.
It contains nourishing botanicals, like aloe vera and purifying tea tree oil, and superior moisturizers in its formula. Meaning, it will leave you feeling refreshed and feeling healthy.
What body wash is good for sensitive skin?
Your skin is sure to feel the effects of whatever body wash you choose. So consider all the facts before you decide on what wash to use.
Your skin will thank you if you do. The following are the factors that you need to consider:
- The moisturizing benefit. The fact that it is designed for sensitive skin should not preclude the need for a body wash that moisturizes your skin. Look for a product that has, “Nourishing,” or, “Deep Moisture” on it.
- The ingredients. Make sure that the product does not contain any chemicals that are harsh. Or that may cause your skin to react. It is best to pick a product that is natural or organic and does not contain synthetic fragrances or dyes.
- Artificial fragrances are usually the main cause of reactions in people with sensitive skin. It is probably best for you to avoid them as much as possible.
Other things to consider when buying a hypoallergenic body wash:
- First things first, it probably would not be the best idea to buy a large bottle of a body wash that you have no experiences with. Second, pick a wash with packaging that is convenient for you. Whether it is travel-sized, a pump bottle or a flip-open bottle.
- Skin type. Pick a body wash that works well for your skin. Go with the creamy one if your skin is dry or the clarifying one if your skin is oily. Also, keep in mind any concerns such as redness or psoriasis.
- You may need to pay a little more for organic body washes. However, they will most likely be worth it. However, you can find a great body wash that suits you for between $10 and $30.You can also find deals and discounts online.
- Customer Reviews. You could test each product yourself or you could learn from the experiences of others. Customer reviews will help you learn about possible side-effects. Or benefits that come with the product.
What is the healthiest body wash?
A great body wash for sensitive skin is likely to contain the following components:
- Calendula which relieves inflammation and decreases redness.
- Coconut oil is a natural antiseptic and moisturizer.
- Chamomile which is a natural anti-inflammatory.
- Ceramides which strengthen the skin.
- Glycerin which moisturizes the skin by attracting moisture.
- Aloe which relieves itchiness and moisturizes.
- Comfrey or Allantoin which moisturizes the skin.
- Avena Sativa or oats which decreases sensitivity.
There are, however, other ingredients that can dry skin out or cause acne and should, therefore, be avoided. These are:
- Petroleum byproducts.
- Not fatty alcohols but denatured alcohols and others.
- Benzoyl Peroxide. This should only be used under a doctor’s direction.
- Physical exfoliants such as nutshell scrubs and apricots.
- Preservatives such as methylisothiazolinone or parabens.
- Sodium Laureth, lauryl sulfate or ammonium lauryl.
- Artificial fragrances and dyes. These are also called perfumes.
Even essential oils may not be as safe as you think. It would be best to try the body wash or soap in a small area and monitor it for a few days to see how your body reacts.
What body wash is good for itchy skin?
For sensitive skin, you need a body wash that moisturizes and does not contain artificial fragrances and dyes.
This is according to Doris Day, MD and a clinical assistant professor of dermatology at the New York University Medical Center.
Perry Romanowski, an independent cosmetic chemist, contributes by adding that some of the particular ingredients that may help with sensitive skin are:
- Glycerin which retains moisture.
- Sunflower seed oil which contains vitamin E and softens the skin.
- Lauryl glucoside.
- A gentle detergent.
For particularly irritated skin, an oatmeal body wash should provide a calming effect.
For dry skin, Romanowski suggests avoiding harsh detergents. And picking a product that has more moisturizing properties.
Sodium lauroyl isethionate, petrolatum, hydrolyzed milk protein and an emollient which smoothens and softens skin are some of the components to look out for.
To avoid having your skin feel tight or stripped, use a creamy formula that moisturizes your skin. Cocoa butter is also great for this since it is a moisturizer.
Dr. Day also suggests putting your product on a puff when you wash since this will use less of the product. And, therefore, reduce the amount of exposure that happens to your skin.
This is especially important if you have particularly sensitive skin.
Sulfate and alcohol-free skincare product are the best to use on your skin. There are, however, lots of other factors and ingredients that come into play when picking the right skin care product for you.
If you do not use the right product on your skin, it could cause discomfort at best or damage at worst.
Looking for a product that has a mild formulation and the right ingredients is exceedingly important if you want to avoid irritation or aggravating your allergies.
I hope this list helps you to find the best hypoallergenic body wash for your skin.