Does your skin break out each time you use harsh chemicals for your skin or hair? Are allergies and you synonymous? Are you tired of dreading washing your hair because of the reactions you’re sure to get later? If you’ve answered in the affirmative to either of these questions, then hypoallergenic shampoos are for you.
These shampoos are especially formulated for sensitive skin and are free of most of the harmful ingredients that cause allergic reactions. Put an end to bathe time torture with these shampoos for sensitive skin that will get the job done without harming your skin or hair.
- Best Hypoallergenic Shampoo
- 1. Art Naturals Organic Moroccan Argan-Oil Shampoo
- 2. Free & Clear Set
- 3. Puracy Natural Body Wash, Sulfate-Free Shower Gel
- 4. Moisturizing Shampoo for Dry & Damaged Hair For Women & Men
- 5. Naturelle Hypo-Allergenic Fragrance-Free Shampoo
- 6. DHS Clear Shampoo
- 7. Finesse Clean & Simple Hypoallergenic Shampoo
- 8. VMV Hypoallergenics Essence Skin-Saving Super Wash Hair
- 9. Cetaphil Baby Wash and Shampoo with Organic Calendula
- 10. Naturelle Hypo-Allergenic Fragrance-Free Shampoo
- Final Thoughts on Shampoo for Sensitive Skin
Best Hypoallergenic Shampoo
Keep in mind though, that it is always essential to read the fine print to see whether you are allergic to any specific ingredients, since what is safe for one person may not be safe for everyone. Here is a list of some of the best hypoallergenic shampoos in the market today for those who would like to pamper their sensitive skin and avoid breakouts.
1. Art Naturals Organic Moroccan Argan-Oil Shampoo
Enjoy the freedom of treating your hair with this all-natural, gentle Argan oil shampoo. Proven to restore even the most lifeless, dull hair, this shower-spa treatment soothes, hydrates and heals your hair even after tons of blow drying or sun damage. It is infused with Moroccan Argan oil and Jojoba oil to restore your hair, replenish its natural moisture and promote healthy hair growth. Not to be forgotten are the rich almond, peach and avocado oils that help in taming split ends and frizz, apart from adding more hydration. Your hair gets the ultimate treatment in sheer luxury with this shampoo’s 100% natural ingredients that are paraben free, and of course, animal cruelty free!
The great part about the Art Naturals Organic Moroccan Argan-Oil Shampoo is that it is affordable and perfect for anyone who wants a home solution for tired hair, without having to deal with harmful chemicals. You no longer have to step into a spa and spend big bucks on getting the same result that you can now get in the comfort of your home. Enjoy the effect of its infused Vitamins E and B-complex, herbal extracts and proteins that act with the other oils to moisturize your hair, reduce dandruff and heal hair damage while reducing flaky or dry scalp skin. The result is healthy, strong hair that you can be proud to flaunt wherever you go, without the pain of harmful chemicals and their side effects.
- Infused with the richest oils – Argan, Jojoba, Avacodo, Peach and Almond, to give your hair the deepest hydration ever.
- Tames frizz and restores split ends and brittle hair.
- Revives your hair’s softness, healthy shine and luster.
- Proteins, Vitamins E and B-complex and herbal extracts give your hair the nourishment it needs.
- Perfect to heal your hair even after sun damage and damage because of hair products.
- Keratin protects your hair from further damage and keeps it looking great.
- Luxurious hair spa treatment at your home, at an affordable price.
- Soothes your scalp while cleaning it, preventing any rashes or inflammation.
- 100% natural ingredients.
- Animal cruelty free.
- Hypoallergenic shampoo is perfect for sensitive skin.
- Perfect for all hair types.
- May not be too friendly with some types of hair colors.
- Does not lather very easily.
2. Free & Clear Set
Pamper your tresses with this hypoallergenic shampoo and conditioner set that cares for your hair while getting the job done. Perfect for daily use, this shampoo for sensitive skin is ideal for all hair types and quickly and easily removes build up from previously used hair products. It is free of fragrance, dyes, lanolin and fragrance, making it an all-round hypoallergenic hair cleansing solution with the least possible side effects.
The new formula that makes up this shampoo and conditioner set has been proven to minimize irritation while delivering the highest performance possible. So if you’d like to avoid chemical irritants that are normally part of hair and skin care products, this solution is the perfect choice even if you’ve got permed or color treated hair. Since the shampoo cleanses your scalp and hair, you will step out of the shower feeling and looking fresh. It controls oil while removing dandruff, making it ideal for all seasons.
- Perfect for scalp and hair cleansing.
- Safe and mild enough for daily use.
- Can be used by the entire family.
- Leaves hair manageable and clean.
- Controls oil and removes dandruff scales for super clean and healthy hair.
- Removes hair product build up which other products may leave behind.
- Recommended by dermatologists.
- Does not include lanolin, protein, parabens, dyes, fomaldehyde, fragrances or masking fragrances.
- A bit pricey, although the benefits outweigh the price.
3. Puracy Natural Body Wash, Sulfate-Free Shower Gel
Revel in the luxury of this delicious blend of emollients, cleansers and essential oils that clean, refresh and soften all types of skin. Infused with the highest quality of Pink Himalayan Sea Salt to exfoliate, balance and hydrate your skin, this body cleanser is the perfect choice is you love luxury and believe in pampering your skin the way it deserves to be. Use it as a shower gel, body wash or bubble bath and feel your skin come alive as its food-grade, mineral and plant-based ingredients soak into your skin and leave you feeling refreshed.
In addition to its natural ingredients, this cleanser is created to prevent allergies, dry skin, redness and irritation by including a coconut-based surfactant known as Coco Glycinate that cleanses your skin without damaging it. You step out of your bath feeling fresh, moisturized and with ultra-soft skin that is all natural.
Puracy’s sulfate-free, natural body wash formula smells fresh, creates rich lather and is also light enough for use by those who have skin conditions such as eczema or dermatitis. Perfect for men and women, this body wash is free of harsh chemicals, fumes or additives, making it safe even around children and pets. They are completely biodegradable and better for your community as well!
- Free of sulfates and harmful chemicals such as formaldehyde, triclosan, parabens, salicylates, phosphates, TEA, MEA, DEA, animal by-products, petroleum-based ingredients, caustics, dyes or perfumes.
- Rebalanced natural fragrance profile.
- Luxurious foam and clinical grade moisturizers for absolute cleansing and balancing.
- Coconut-based cleaners are hypoallergenic and keep your skin smooth and soft.
- Dermatologist-created and approved for use by men and women of all skin types.
- Non-toxic cleansing solution is biodegradable, vegan and is never tested on animals.
- The scent may be a bit strong for those who have extreme allergic reactions.
- May make your skin dry if you already have very dry skin.
4. Moisturizing Shampoo for Dry & Damaged Hair For Women & Men
Gift your damaged hair this hydrating solution and eliminate dandruff, damaged hair and frizz. Loaded with silk protein, carrot oil, almond oil and lavender and jojoba extracts, this moisturizing shampoo is perfect to clean your scalp without drying out your hair. It controls frizz with its essential oils, leaving you with hair that looks quite voluminous, health, clean and shiny. You scalp locks in all the nourishment it can get and your hair grows much faster and healthier.
This hypoallergenic solution with its antioxidants and vitamins gets to work on your hair instantly and you step out of your bath transformed. The combination of parsley seed, lavender and botanical keratin keeps your hair well nourished, improves blood circulation and eliminates dandruff. You feel a noticeable difference in your scalp’s itchiness and your hair starts growing back as luxuriously as you’ve always wanted it to be.
The natural formula in this moisturizing shampoo removes toxins that build up on your scalp and cause itching. Silk peptides rejuvenate your hair and regenerate skin cells, literally giving them a whole new life. You will see a visible difference in your tresses each time you use this solution that is created to help even the most sensitive scalps grow the most luxurious and silky hair. The dual recipe of this hypoallergenic shampoo works to eliminate dandruff while adding volume and shine to your hair, contrary to many other dandruff solutions that dry out your hair instead.
- Hydrating, moisturizing shampoo nourishes your itchy, dry scalp.
- Reduces shedding and hair loss, thanks to its therapeutic formula.
- Nourishing formula gently cleanses your hair and removes flakes and dandruff.
- Natural solution is free of sulfates and works for all hair types.
- Hypoallergenic formula is free of parabens and silicone and does not have added fragrances.
- Infused with parsley seed, carrot oil, almond oil and silk peptides to promote hair growth and strength damaged hair.
- Ideal for the entire family and safe for kids.
- Includes vitamins, botanical keratin and jojoba for healthy, frizz-free, glossy tresses.
- Soothes scalp and reduces itching and inflammation.
- May not work on extreme scalp conditions.
- May further dry out extremely dry hair.
- The fragrance may not be pleasing to some.
5. Naturelle Hypo-Allergenic Fragrance-Free Shampoo
Treat your sensitive scalp with the gentleness it deserves when you opt for this hypoallergenic, fragrance-free shampoo. This extra gentle shampoo is perfect for daily use and you step out of your bath each day with moisturized, clean and healthy hair. This mild solution with botanical extracts gently washes away impurities while moisturizing your hair without leaving it greasy or stripping your hair off its natural oils. Free of any synthetic perfumes, harsh chemicals or fragrances, you can be sure that you and your loved ones are safe from the intense reactions caused by other harsh shampoos.
This clinically tested and dermatologist recommended shampoo is ideal for all hair types. If you’ve been struggling with allergies or skin conditions such as eczema or dermatitis, you’ll love the gentle feel of this shampoo that soothes your skin and leaves it instantly refreshed. It lathers well and is mild. Pair it off with a hypoallergenic conditioner and watch your hair glow with health all the year round.
- Mild, gentle shampoo for daily use.
- Cleanses and replenishes without stripping your hair off its natural oils.
- Free of harsh chemicals.
- Lathers well.
- Includes botanical extracts for extra hair and scalp nourishment.
- Clinically tested and dermatologist recommended.
- Hypoallergenic and free of fragrances.
- May increase dryness in some cases.
- Conditioner is not easily available.
6. DHS Clear Shampoo
If you’re looking out for a hypoallergenic, mild shampoo that works perfectly with sensitive scalps, you should check out the DHS clear shampoo. It cleans your scalp and hair effectively while maintaining your skin’s pH level, keeping your hair lush, healthy and fresh. It is free of harsh detergents and protects your scalp against conditions such as seborrheic dermatitis, dandruff and psoriasis.
This color-free, fragrance-free formula nourishes your scalp without drying it out. However, it doesn’t leave your hair greasy or looking unwashed, unlike its counterparts. It uses natural ingredients such as purified water, and safe additives that help in keeping your skin and scalp healthy while gently cleansing your hair.
- Free of harmful detergents so your hair is healthy.
- Simple ingredients list that contains just 7 ingredients other than purified water.
- Creates a rich lather.
- Hypoallergenic, gentle, fragrance-free and color-free shampoo for all hair types.
- Restores and maintains your skin’s pH level.
- Dermatologist recommended.
- May cause drying of hair in some cases.
- Some ingredients may cause allergic reactions in those who are extremely sensitive.
7. Finesse Clean & Simple Hypoallergenic Shampoo
If you’re looking at putting an end to your bad hair days, either as a result of poor quality shampoo or allergic reactions, check out the Finesse Clean and Simple hypoallergenic shampoo. This dermatologist tested shampoo is free of chemicals that cause irritation or breakouts and won’t irritate your scalp. You step out of your bath looking fresh, and with beautiful, nourished, clean hair.
This shampoo comes simply packed in a white bottle and aqua cap. Everything, from the packing to the clear shampoo itself speaks of simplicity, and this is exactly what this shampoo does. It is simple, mildly scented and keeps your hair clean, without irritations or allergies. It can be used by itself or with the Clean and Simple hypoallergenic conditioner for smoother and more manageable hair.
- Free of parabens, dyes and sulfates and is hypoallergenic.
- Keeps your hair clean and soft.
- Protects colored hair.
- Subtle, natural apricot fragrance.
- May not lather as much as other shampoos, but that is because it does not contain Sodium Lauryl Sulfate / Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLS).
8. VMV Hypoallergenics Essence Skin-Saving Super Wash Hair
If you love your tresses, you should try out this hypoallergenic hair and body cleansing wash. This creamy cleanser feels luxurious the moment you get your hands on it and is so mild and gentle that it can even be used on post-procedural skin. It removes dirt and excess oil from your scalp, hair and skin without causing your skin to break out or harm it. If you suffer from rashes and bumps on your scalp, you will find them noticeably reduced after you use this mild solution that is created with sensitive skin in mind.
This clarifying shampoo is ideal for color treated hair as well and doesn’t strip your hair off its color or natural oils. Additionally, since it is free of fragrances, the chances of allergies and reactions are minimized. Your hair’s volume is improved after use and your hair feels clean, without being stripped off moisture.
- Protects color treated hair.
- Free of fragrances.
- Hypoallergenic and is perfect for sensitive skin and scalps.
- Soothes rashes and reduces a flaky skin.
- Moisturizes your hair and improves texture.
- May cause breakouts in those with extremely sensitive skin.
- May cause dryness in some cases.
9. Cetaphil Baby Wash and Shampoo with Organic Calendula
If chemicals in shampoos and body washes were harmful for your skin, how much more harmful they are for your baby’s delicate skin! Cetaphil baby wash and shampoo comes to the rescue with infused organic calendula to cleanse your baby’s delicate skin without drying it out or damaging it. The calming calendula refreshes your baby, while the tear free formula makes bath times a pleasure for you as well as your little one. This solution is free of colorants, parabens and mineral oil, giving you the perfect hypoallergenic solution to keep your baby clean.
This soothing wash is formulated to cleanse your baby’s hair and skin without drying it out. It is safe and gentle and lathers well while cleaning your baby’s skin and keeping it fresh without leaving behind any residue. Glycerin protects your baby’s skin and creates a moisture barrier to keep skin hydrated for a long time.
And who said that this gentle formula is only for babies? If you love your skin and want to keep it soft and smooth, pamper yourself with this gentle, calming solution and feel as fresh as a newborn. It is perfectly calming after a long, hectic day and you will love its soft, natural fragrance.
- Gentle cleansing for your baby’s hair and skin.
- Non-drying, rich lather for complete, residue free cleansing.
- Tear-free formula makes bath times a pleasure for you and your little one.
- Free of parabens.
- Infused with glycerin for enhanced skin hydration.
- Includes soothing organic calendula with a natural fragrance.
- Dermatologist tested.
- Hypoallergenic and ideal for sensitive skin.
- The mild fragrance may cause reactions in those with extreme allergies.
- Not recommended for kids with eczema.
10. Naturelle Hypo-Allergenic Fragrance-Free Shampoo
Get the luxurious tresses you’ve always wanted without the pain of harsh breakouts thanks to the botanical extracts and gentle cleansing agents in this hypoallergenic shampoo. It is perfect for sensitive skin and is free of dyes and perfumes so that you and your loved ones don’t have to suffer each time you decide to wash your hair. Since it is free of fragrance and masked fragrance, you no longer need to worry about spending time with your loved ones who are prone to allergies, after you wash your hair with this extra gentle shampoo.
This shampoo is great for all hair types and removes impurities without any residue build up, keeping your hair and scalp healthy and well nourished. Infused with Quillaja, Yarrow and Geranium to replenish moisture while cleaning your hair, this shampoo is gentle for daily use even if you have sensitive skin, and is dermatologist tested. It cleanses, replenishes and protects your hair and scalp.
- Great for sensitive skin and scalp.
- Clinically tested, hypoallergenic shampoo is ideal for everyone in the family.
- Mild and gentle for daily use.
- Infused with natural botanical extracts for extra hair and scalp nourishment and care.
- Free of dyes, harsh ingredients, chemicals or perfumes.
- Does not come with a conditioner, and you may need to hunt for one that is hypoallergenic.
Final Thoughts on Shampoo for Sensitive Skin
As much as 28% of us suffer from allergic reactions (some rather massive) to our hair products. This can either be something as small as a little rash, or pimples or a dry scalp. If this wasn’t bad enough, many get extreme reactions such as anaphylaxis or hives that need emergency treatment.
The culprits behind these reactions are chemicals, strong fragrances, dyes and harsh alcohol that unscrupulous manufacturers use to make their products seemingly more appealing. The side effects, though, are devastating. Irrespective of whether you have sensitive skin or not, making the switch over to hypoallergenic shampoos will prevent other health hazards down the line.
All of the above discussed shampoos and cleansers are dermatologist recommended and safe. So make the switch now and enjoy the experience of extra gentle care for your hair and body, without the side-effects.
Going natural and organic as far as possible has a positive effect on the mind and body and will keep you glowing with health.