Makeup is one of the most voguish things that all women love. The cosmopolitan and vogue magazines have always set latest fashion trends and all women often try to adopt those looks that they find in those beautiful pictures. The dramatic eyes and a number of varied looks compel the females to try them out. Eye makeup is the most important things that change the complete look of a woman. It constitutes of number of products ranging from eye shadows, eyeliners, kohl pencils, mascara and a lot more.
But as it said that all good things come with their own set of pros and cons. It is true that makeup accentuates the beauty of a woman but it has a lot of side effects as well. A lot of eye makeup wearers complain of allergies or dull and dry skin around their eye areas. These problems are often caused due to allergic reactions. As a whole one should be aware of the products that she is using and they should always opt for hypoallergenic eye products that are safe for their eyes and skin.
- Best Hypoallergenic Eyeliner
- 1.Physicians Formula Eye Booster 2-in-1 Lash Boosting Eyeliner
- 2. Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips Custom Eye Enhancing Eyeliner Trio
- 3. Neutrogena Nourishing Eyeliner Pencil, Cosmic Black 10
- 4. Almay Eye Liner with Built In Sharpener, Black 205
- 5. Marcelle Hypoallergenic and Fragrance-Free Waterproof Eyeliner
- 6. Pixi Endless Silky Eye Pen
- 7. KROMA Eye Liner White
- 8. Helan Natural Mineral Oil Free, Paraben Free Liquid Eyeliner
- How to Check if you are Allergic to Eyeliner?
- What Should You Do if You Have a Reaction?
- Some Tips For Sensitive Skin:
Best Hypoallergenic Eyeliner
If you are quite familiar with your skin type and are aware of the allergies that you are prone to then always opt for hypoallergenic makeup products. Eyes being the most sensitive part, it is very essential that you always opt for hypoallergenic eyeliners. They are not harmful to your eyes and do not result in any allergic reactions. Market has a large variety of products but among them you can always find eyeliner for sensitive eyes. You have to be extra concerned for what you apply in your eyes, as they are the most sensitive part of your body.
|Top Products||Check Price on Amazon|
|1.||Physicians Formula Eye Booster |
|2.||Physicians Formula Shimmer |
|3.||Neutrogena Nourishing Eyeliner |
|4.||Almay Eye Liner |
|5.||Marcelle Hypoallergenic |
|6.||Pixi Endless Silky Eye Pen |
|7.||KROMA Eye Liner White |
|8.||Helan Natural Mineral Oil Free |
Hypoallergenic eyeliner is especially made for sensitive eyes that prevent the eye area from getting damaged and prevents any kind of red spots. Hypoallergenic eye products are ophthalmologist tested and work good for sensitive and delicate eyes.
We have jotted down some of the best eyeliners and have tried to make it a bit simpler for you by listing down pros and cons of all the famous hypoallergenic eyeliners.
1.Physicians Formula Eye Booster 2-in-1 Lash Boosting Eyeliner
This product is quite innovative that comes with two bound benefits that can make the lashes look dense and also adds a definition of eyeliner. It is hypoallergenic eyeliner and is paraben free. It is good eyeliner for sensitive eyes.
- Long wearing, water-resistant and smudge resistant
- No fragrance
- Dermatologist approved
- Brush-tip applicator
- The luscious lashes concept may not be as much you get from mascara
Verdict: If you are expecting something that has good hold for eyeliner with a subtle mascara application then this is the best one that you should be going for. It is best eyeliner for sensitive eyelids.
2. Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips Custom Eye Enhancing Eyeliner Trio
If you love a nude color formulation and love to create nude looks then this is the hypoallergenic eyeliner for you. It is apt for any eye color and come in three different variants.
- Fragrance free
- Hypoallergenic and dermatologist tested
- Paraben free
- A good one for contact lens users
- Highlight with a natural look
- The applicator tip is a bit tricky to apply
- If the application is not handled properly then it might break the nip
Verdict: If you are actually a fan of nude makeup then this one is for you and you don’t have to worry about your eye colour.
3. Neutrogena Nourishing Eyeliner Pencil, Cosmic Black 10
Neutrogena eyeliner is one of the best hypoallergenic eyeliners. It is rich in color and provides a smudge proof and long lasting effect.
- Very compatible for sensitive eyes and contact-lens wearers
- Easy to glide because of oils present
- Contoured smudge brush for dramatic eyes
- Subtle light diffusers, which highlight the white in the eyes.
- Can’t Find Any
Verdict: If dramatic eyes are your favorite type of eye makeup with a little bit contouring effect then it is the best hypoallergenic eye makeup.
4. Almay Eye Liner with Built In Sharpener, Black 205
This Italy based eyeliner stays put for about 16 hours. Nourished with vitamin E it is very soothing for delicate eye areas.
- Best for price
- No need to sharpen
- Smooth in application
- Comes off easily with a makeup remover
- Smudge easily
- Doesn’t very good if you want darker shades
- Doesn’t last for really long hours
Verdict: If you are looking for something inexpensive and durable then this product is the best choice. It also provide you a dose of vitamin E.
5. Marcelle Hypoallergenic and Fragrance-Free Waterproof Eyeliner
This is another one of the most sought eyeliner that provides allergy free application. It comes in matte finish and pearlized finish
- Smudge free
- Long lasting
- Complete waterproof and resistant to tear and heat
- Best for intense eye makeup
- Can’t Find Any
Verdict: If you love to add a bit of drama in your eye makeup then this is what is made for you. Features all the components that are required for a dramatic eye makeup and on the top of that it is hypoallergenic eyeliner.
6. Pixi Endless Silky Eye Pen
This is one of the easiest liquid eyeliner to apply that is long wearing, non-transferrable and literally foolproof to apply.
- Liquid eyeliner but easy application
- Smudge proof
- Long lasting
- Sharpening is a bit tricky
Verdict: It is surely a good pick if price is not an issue.
7. KROMA Eye Liner White
It is made out of natural ingredients and available in more than 20 shades. It was invented by lee cristou and is highly pigmented with all-day wear formulas.
- Offers a wide range of colors
- Glides very smoothly
- Stays on quite well
- Highly pigmented
- Don’t smear easily
Verdict: The one feature that makes it a demanding product is the wide range of colors it offers. It is quite hard to find a lot of shades when you are restricted with hypoallergenic liquid eyeliner products. This product thus fits the bill.
8. Helan Natural Mineral Oil Free, Paraben Free Liquid Eyeliner
This is one the most relevant organic eyeliner that is incredibly black and is nickel tested. It has jellifying agents that allows the eyeliner to stick and dry easily.
- Quick to dry
- Vegan and mineral oil free
- Easy application
- Incredibly black
- Stays put for long hours
- Expensive to afford
Verdict: if you are an animal lover and vegan off course then this product is the best you can go for. But if it doesn’t matter then there a lot many products that can provide the same coverage but on an affordable price.
How to Check if you are Allergic to Eyeliner?
You love makeup and I guess most of the women do. We flip through a number of fashion magazines and are quite smitten by the various kind of makeup techniques and ideas. The very next thing that we do is heading to a market and getting similar shades, products and everything that is needed. There is nothing wrong with this approach after all makeup itself is an art. But, we often forget that everybody of us has different skin type and products may work differently for different people. To fight such problems there are eyeliners for sensitive eyes too.
Putting on various products that are chemical laden may sometimes prove hazardous to our skin and the most sensitive part that is our eyes. Be very careful about the kind of products you use and keep checking for the manufacturing and expiry dates from time to time. If you are aware about certain products that you might be allergic to then check the list of ingredients that are used in the product to avoid any future problems. These were the few tips to keep in mind before you actually buy and apply a product.
Let us now take look on the points to know if you are allergic to eyeliner:
➢ Red Spots: Had it ever happened to you that after applying eyeliner you felt an immediate burning sensation or kind of itching? If it happens then you are prone to an eyeliner reaction. You may also find some rashes or red spots on the specific part. In such cases, you should always use eyeliner for sensitive eyes that are also called hypoallergenic eyeliner.
➢ Blisters: A red bump may also arise once you applied the makeup. One point to keep in mind is that such problems may arise after certain period of time as well. It is not important that you will get it immediately after you applied the makeup.
➢ Swelling: Another form of allergic reaction is swelling of only eyes or the adjoining eye areas. They can range from nominal to severe. It may be accompanied with itching, discharge and discomfort.
➢ Itching and burning sensation: This may sound the most common of all that includes a burning and itching sensation and watery red eyes.
If you have any of the above symptom while using any makeup products may be immediately after or after few weeks or months do an immediate check up. Give a brief check on all the products that you have been using. The causes of these allergies are diverse and the irritation causing agents may include fragrance, preservatives, dyes, formaldehyde and alpha-hydro acids. The earlier you detect the problem product the better it will be.
In the market these days there are number of products that call themselves hypoallergenic but it is not important that they will be completely safe for you. Check for products that are labeled as fragrance free and not scented as the basic steps of your testing. Following to that you should always check the list of ingredients and also consult your dermatologist and ask for the makeup brands that they would recommend.
What Should You Do if You Have a Reaction?
You won’t know you have an allergy till you actually have it someday. If you have caught in an allergic eye reaction then here are few things that you can do to neutralize and calm the effect. Here are few things that you can do.
➢ Wash off the makeup gently without scrubbing. Rubbing off your makeup harshly may increase the irritation effect.
➢ Use olive oil or some other moisturizing lotion to soothe the affected areas.
➢ If the irritation is severe then immediately consult your dermatologist or optometrist and seek medical advice.
➢ Use eye drops for rehydrating our eyes.
➢ Sleep a lot and take rest this will make your eyes relax for long time and help to heal faster.
➢ The doctor may also advise oral medication.
➢ Hydrocortisone cream may also be used but it should be used only after medical advice.
After consulting your doctor if you are able to figure out which brand makeup doesn’t suit your skin immediately throw it away. It doesn’t mean that you can’t wear the makeup again, you can wear it but you should go for brands are made for sensitive skin. There are number of hypoallergenic eye makeup available in the market that you can use.
What to look for when buying hypoallergenic eyeliner?
If you are someone who has a very sensitive skin and prone to allergic reactions then you must have considered using hypoallergenic makeup products. If you are still wondering what are the ingredients that constitute these products then it should have all natural and very few artificial agents.
The makeup should be free from parabens, fragrance, dyes, mercury, mercury containing products and talc. These are all skin irritants and can harm the sensitive skin and cause allergies. One thing to keep in mind is to go for powder based makeup rather than liquid one. Liquid makeups may contain some sort of oils that are more likely to cause an allergic reaction. Hypoallergenic eye makeup comes as a savior in such cases.
When you go for makeup shopping test the product on your forearm and behind the ears. If it doesn’t cause any irritation or itching at those areas then most probably they will suit your skin type. But, this allergic reaction may occur even after few hours of application so take note of the changes after an hour or two.
Following is a list of things to check for in you makeup products if your skin is too sensitive, delicate and prone to allergies.
- Parabens: It is one the most common constituent that acts as preservatives in cosmetics. Some of its examples includes methylparaben, butylparaben etc. They are the ones that can cause reactions and irritate your skin tissues.
- Natural ingredients: Many times it may happen that you are allergic to some plants. So, in those cases if the respective plant oils are used in your makeup then it will irritate your skin.
- Alcohol: Alcohol is used in number of cosmetic products. SD alchol, cetyl alcohol, ceteareth alcohol can end up drying skin leading to allergies.
- Fragrance: The constituents that add fragrance to the cosmetics can often be allergic to the skin so it is best option to go for fragrance free products.
- Butters and oils: The smoothness and silky effect found in cosmetics is derived by use of certain oils and butters. If you are allergic to the parent derivative then the respective butters and oils will affect you too.
- Mica: It is a derivative of silicone and is used as a coloring and texturizing agent in cosmetics. It is quite harsh and it can often act as an allergen.
- Dimethicone: It is derived form sand and works as an lubricating agents. If you are allergic to silicon then you should be avoiding products with this compound.
One thing to know about allergic reactions is that they differ from person to person. It is possible that a certain product may not affect your friend, but the same product can cause severe reactions to your skin and vice-versa. Since, in this post we have been discussing about eye makeup essentials as such there are number of hypoallergenic eyeliner available in the market.
Some Tips For Sensitive Skin:
- Always keep your brushes clean and avoid sharing it with others.
- Time to time keeps changing your makeup products in case they have expired.
- Always check the ingredients before you finally buy a product.
- Test on your own skin and do not just go by recommendation after all it is your skin so you should be the one taking care of it.
At the end I would like to conclude by saying that every problem comes with a solution. There is nothing to worry about. A little bit of research, concern for your skin and you are good to go. Never hesitate to visit you dermatologist if you are not able to sense the problem areas. They can always recommend safe products for you skin and eyes.