A Golden-Tan looks stunning for all your special events as well as for an everyday glam look. The best way to tan is of course a few hours under the beach sun but you can also book sessions in your favourite tanning salon. To help you tan splendidly, a Tanning Lotion will be of immense help.
Indoor Tanning Lotions not only accelerate the Tanning process but are also designed to retain the tan for a longer duration while taking good care of your skin. It is recommended to apply a Tanning Lotion before you proceed for your Tanning Bed session.
Depending on your skin type and the colour you expect to obtain, you can choose from a lot of best tanning lotion options and choose the product that suits your requirements. Most Tanning Lotions available in the market are loaded with essential Vitamins and Minerals that will help your skin tan in a glorious way.
Since Indoor Tanning Beds are designed to protect you from the harsh effects of sun tanning, a Tanning Lotion will be helpful to get a glamorous tan while hydrating your skin and replenishing skin moisture often lost during tanning bed sessions.
- What’s the best tanning bed lotion?
- Best Indoor Tanning Lotions 2018
- 1. Millenium Tanning New Solid Black Bronzer
- 2. Ed Hardy Coconut Kisses Golden Tanning Lotion
- 3. Snooki Ultra Dark 70X Black Bronzer
- 4. Australian Gold Cheeky Brown
- 5. Designer Skin Elusive 50X Bronzer Indoor Tanning Bed Lotion
- 6. Cypher Platinum Black Step 2 Tanning Lotion:
- 7. Forever After Australian Gold
- 8. Australian Gold Jwoww Black Bronzer Dark Tanning Lotion
- 9. Designer Skin Black
- 10. Millenium Paint It Black Auto-darkening Dark Tanning Lotion, 50X
- How to get the Best Tan From Tanning Bed
- Tips for Indore Tanning
- Skin Patch Test
What’s the best tanning bed lotion?
If you’re a first-time tanner, the sheer number of options can seem a bit overwhelming. Tanning Lotions are available in different varieties like Tingle Lotions, Bronzers, Cooling Lotions, Shimmering Lotions, Maximisers and Intensifiers, and Accelerators.
The two main categories of Tanning Lotions are Tinglers and Bronzers. Tinglers give you a tingly, heating sensation that will cause more blood to flow to your skin, thus accelerating the Tanning process. Some people may or may not be able to tolerate this sensation so you need to determine how reactive you are to the feeling before you go all out and use a Tingler.
|Top Products||Review Score||Check Price on Amazon|
|1.||Millenium Tanning New Solid Black ||9.8|
|2.||Ed Hardy Coconut Kisses ||9.7|
|3.||Snooki Ultra Dark 70X ||9.6|
|4.||Australian Gold Cheeky Brown ||9.5|
|5.||Designer Skin Elusive 50X ||9.4|
|6.||Cypher Platinum Black ||9.3|
|7.||Forever After Australian Gold ||9.1|
|8.||Australian Gold Jwoww ||9.0|
|9.||Designer Skin Black ||8.9|
|10.||Millenium Paint It Black ||9.0|
Bronzers also accelerate the tanning process and leave you with a glowy effect. Both contain moisturisers that will protect the skin and retain moisture levels. People who have undergone Tanning Bed Sessions without the use of an Indoor Tanning Lotion have testified that it has left their skin feeling dry, flaky, and completely robbed of moisture.
There are hundreds of Lotion brands in the market, some of which are luxury products that combine Advanced Skin Care Solutions and Tanning Technologies. Overall, choose an Indoor Tanning Lotion only for a tanning bed session and not for sun tanning. An Indoor Tanning Lotion negates the side effects of using Tanning Beds like loss of drying, wrinkles, and skin burning.
Commonly used ingredients include Body Blush, Silicon, Vitamin E, Shimmer, etc. Tanning Lotions come under “smart tanning”; a way to get the perfect tan that looks glamorous without disturbing the delicate fabric of your skin. It also means tanning faster and not losing it for as long as possible. However not all products will suit individual needs.
How important is it to distinguish between Tanning Products?
There is often a confusion between three tanning products namely; Self-Tanners, and Sun Block.
It is important to distinguish between the three to understand where either of them should be used:
- A Sunblock should be used only during sun-tanning and shouldn’t be used with tanning beds because it can damage the acrylic inside a tanning bed.
- Fake Tan is also sometimes known as Bronzer because it leaves you with a golden glow that washes off in the shower.
Checklist for Purchasing a suitable Indoor Tanning Lotion:
- Formulation Level: Any Indoor Tanning Lotion must contain 95% UVA and 5% UVB. This percentage will help obtain maximum results from UV ray exposure.
- Choose a product with Natural Ingredients: When you pick your Indoor Tanning Lotion, check the label for natural ingredients like Vitamins, Natural Oils, Natural Mineral Herb Extracts, Aloe Vera, and Anti-Oxidants.
- Hydration: This is the most important pre-requisite you should look for. The whole point of using one is to prevent Skin Drying and Cracking during Tanning. High moisture content in the Lotion will make the skin smooth and firm and will act as a protective barrier against Heat and Light.
- Fragrance: The Tanning Lotion must have good Fragrance and anti-bacterial properties to prevent bad odour after tanning.
- Tan-Enhancing Properties: The Tan Enhancing content in the Tanning Lotion should enhance the tan and colour and leave you with a glow.
Tips and Precautions
- Use an Indoor Tanning Lotion wisely. The idea is to protect your skin and not overwhelm it with too much.
- Know when to stop. Don’t spend way too much time in the Tanning Bed and burn yourself. A subtle glowing tan is just the right amount you need for a glamorous look.
- Choose a Product from a reputed Brand. Luxury products are the best pick because they usually contain premium self-care and advanced tanning technology. If you can’t afford luxury products, buy one from a reputed company and try not to go overtly cheap and compromise on your skin.
Best Indoor Tanning Lotions 2018
Without further ado, below are some Really Good Lotions for tanning with a brief description, pros & cons, and a final verdict:
1. Millenium Tanning New Solid Black Bronzer
The Solid Black Bronzer by Millennium Tanning is an ultra-advanced lotion containing 100X Silicone. Solid Black contains Tyrosine which triggers production of Melanin and brings about instant darkening of skin.
- Does not cause Orange Streaking.
- Highly moisturising thanks to natural ingredients like Walnut Seed Oil, Sunflower Seed Oil, Pecan Seed Oil, and Hemp Oil, Vitamin E, Chamomile, and Willow Bark.
- Contains DHA and Parabens.
- Very fast action may stain palms.
Users have reported that the Silicone present in the lotion leaves their skin feeling smooth and moisturised. This is a highly effective and useful tanning lotion packaged attractively at an affordable price.
2. Ed Hardy Coconut Kisses Golden Tanning Lotion
The Coconut Kisses Golden by Ed Hardy is imbibed with Coconut Milk and Coconut Oil which is a heavenly combination for skin nourishment. Although this product does not contain Bronzers, it produces a beautiful golden tan.
- Coconut Kisses is a lightweight lotion.
- Absorbed by the skin quickly and effectively.
- Produces a deep dark tan.
- Does not contain SPF.
- Since there are no Bronzers, you won’t get an exceptionally dark tan like you would get from a Bronzer.
Coconut Kisses is popular for being very hydrating and for being all-natural. Since there are no Bronzers, you don’t have to worry about nasty orange streaks left behind. Another interesting feature of this product is that it helps reduce fading of tattoos if applied over them. For a decent price, Coconut Kisses is a recommended buy.
3. Snooki Ultra Dark 70X Black Bronzer
The Snooki Ultra Dark Black Bronzer by Supre brings out a fierce golden tan thanks to its strong tanning mechanism. The tanning process is prolonged post the tanning bed session resulting in a very deep and dark tan.
- This product is free of Parabens.
- Contains skin care and moisturising ingredients like Black Walnut, Henna, Coconut, Sweet Almond Oil, etc.
- Contains DHA.
- Some users have reported allergic reactions to this product so a skin patch test is highly recommended.
Snooki is an all-in-one product that works as a Bronzer, Skin Conditioner, and Firming Lotion. You will get a deep tan with this product and skin care ingredients will ensure your skin is well taken care of. Since there is a risk of reaction to this product, do not use before undergoing a skin patch test.
4. Australian Gold Cheeky Brown
The Cheeky Brown Accelerator Tanning Lotion by Australian Gold has Natural Bronzers that will give you that dark tan you’ve always dreamed of. Designed to give you the ultimate tanning experience, Cheeky Brown has in it natural ingredients like Native Australian Oils, Vitamins A, and E that will give you instant darkening. It also gives you visibly smoothened skin results thanks to Biosine Complex and Herbal DNA.
- Safe to use on different skin types.
- Works both for Indoor as well as Outdoor use.
- High shipping costs.
- Although you can use it outdoors, this product does not contain SPF.
5. Designer Skin Elusive 50X Bronzer Indoor Tanning Bed Lotion
The Elusive Indoor Tanning by Designer Skin contains 50X Bronzers and can also be used as a Sun Tan Lotion. It stimulates tanning production and is safe to be used on all skin types. The 50X Bronzing action together with Chrono Rest technology works to give the most perfect tan to flaunt.
- Quick and efficient tanning with smooth results.
- Long lasting fragrance.
- No products available exclusive to Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced tanners.
- Duplicate products available.
Elusive by Designer Skin is a premium product with specific usage instructions on the label. Designer Skin has a range of tanning products to choose from, all with beautiful fragrances, bio-engineered formulas, and refreshing natural ingredients.
6. Cypher Platinum Black Step 2 Tanning Lotion:
The Cypher Platinum Black Step 2 Lotion will give you a gorgeous tan while providing anti-ageing and skin nourishing benefits. Uniqueness of this product is that it gives you an even and natural looking tan. Cypher Tanning Lotion contains a unique Cell Speak Complex which boosts the production of collagen thus providing elasticity and firmness to skin.
- Works best for Facial Tanning.
- Contains rich Nutrients, Vitamins, and Moisturisers that help protect the skin from UV exposure.
- May produce freckles for some people.
- Tan shade variations for different areas of application.
Cypher is a two-step tanning system that provides highest skin satisfaction along with quick and efficient tanning. There are tons of positive reviews regarding Cypher by users and is a good tanning lotion available for Indoor Tanning.
7. Forever After Australian Gold
The Forever After All Day Moisturiser by Australian Gold is a triple-action Lipocare solution that works as an Anti-Ageing, Firming, Slimming, and Moisturising product that slows down the fading of your Indoor Tan. It prevents peeling and flaking of skin, thus ensuring that your tan remains for a longer duration.
- Beautiful Fragrance of Vanilla extracts.
- Non-greasy, light lotion.
- May not be suitable for all skin types. Skin Patch test is recommended.
Forever After is an all-in-one product with wonderful properties like Anti-Sagging and Anti-Cellulite. Tan gracefully with this amazing all-in-one skin care product.
8. Australian Gold Jwoww Black Bronzer Dark Tanning Lotion
The JWOWW Black Bronzer Dark by Australian Gold will give you the sexiest, dark tan while leaving you with an irresistible berry fragrance. There are no tinglers in Jwoww but you get a very dark tan even in hard to tan areas thanks to a unique combination of Kukui Oil and Black Currant.
- Non-greasy and quickly absorbed by skin.
- Long-lasting tan.
- No SPF.
- Slightly expensive with higher shipping cost.
The JWOWW Black Bronzer will give you the hottest dark tan while taking good care of your skin with Vitamins, Hemp Seed Extract, and moisturising capabilities imbibed into its formula. JWOWW is a very popular tinted tanning lotion, and for all the right reasons.
9. Designer Skin Black
Black by Designer Skin is a Silicone Emulsion Bronzer that will leave you with a deep, dark tan while leaving your skin feeling smooth and luscious. In just one tanning session, this product will give you the best results.
- Silicone Emulsifiers are easily absorbed by skin leaving it feeling moisturised.
- Non-greasy, smooth lotion.
- Orange streaks left behind on clothes and around corners of fingers.
Black by Designer Skin is a favourite regular Tanners since one bottle will last for an entire season. Users have reported satisfactory reviews and this is a popular product in it’s range.
10. Millenium Paint It Black Auto-darkening Dark Tanning Lotion, 50X
The Paint It Black Auto Darkening Dark by Millennium Tanning contains 50X Auto Darkening Tanning technology along with high levels of Silicone Emulsion blend that will give you a lovely dark tan along with moisturising and protecting your skin.
- Beautiful Vanilla Fragrance
- Affordable Product.
- Excellent Tanning and Moisturising capabilities.
- Contains risky ingredients. Skin Patch test is recommended.
Paint It Black is a lotion that perfectly fans your skin without the tingling or burning sensation. It is comfortable and non-greasy to apply and results in incredibly smooth skin.
How to get the Best Tan From Tanning Bed
Indoor Tanning Beds recreate the Tanning effects of the sun in that they generate similar percentages of UV-A and UV-B rays to stimulate the skin to produce Melanin. Unlike sun tanning, tanning beds do not cause harmful effects to the sun similar to prolonged exposure to the sun.
Before you go for a tanning session, you want to be well-prepared and do thorough research on different types of tanning lotions and which one suits your skin type. You also need to research the right way to use a tanning bed before you go so that you don’t have to wholly depend on the recommendations of the tanning salon and you can come out with that perfect tan that you’ve always dreamed of.
Tips for Indore Tanning
When you have got your Tanning Lotion, carefully follow the directions provided on the label along with following the below-mentioned tips to get maximum use out of your Indoor Tanning Session. There are a few ways you can prep up your skin before going in for Indoor Tanning to make sure its ready to receive tanning and get the colour of you desire. Also its important that it remains safe and healthy always. Preparing your skin for tanning is vital to maintain the well-being of your skin and get the desired results from Tanning. Without further ado, here are 10 steps to properly using an Indoor Tanning Lotion:
Skin Patch Test
Before you even think of using an Tanning Lotion, always undergo a skin patch test with your new product. Skin Patch Test is highly recommended for all products and skin types to avoid allergic reactions or other harmful effects from incompatible products.
Even a single ingredient that doesn’t agree with your skin may cause severe reactions. Its wise to avoid serious afflictions like Hives and Itching by applying a small portion to a tiny patch of skin, either on your arms or legs. Wait for a few minutes and wash off. Check for itching or burns. There is also a chance of the skin peeling off. If you see the slightest adverse reaction, it’s advisable not to continue using the product.
Preparing the skin for Tanning
There are three to prepare your skin for a tanning bed namely,
- Exfoliation: Use a scrub and exfoliation cream prior to Indoor Tanning to remove dead skin cells and to make the skin smooth and ready for the Tanning Bed.
- Get rid of body hair: There is no reason why you should leave your body hair on before Tanning. Shave or Wax of hair to avoid accumulation of the Bronzer or Tanning Lotion around hair follicles which may cause tiny bronzed spots all over.
- Application of the Tanning Lotion: Evenly apply Tanning Lotion all over your body. Don’t use copious or little tanning lotion if you want to get a nice even tan. Also, don’t apply too much on one area. After you’re done applying, thoroughly wash off your hands.
Getting ready for the Tanning Bed lotion
- Wear the right clothes: Wear light clothes, possibly those which you don’t mind getting stained. Get rid of your jewellery, make-up, and accessories before you hit the bed. Also make sure you don’t have any cologne or perfume on. Thoroughly wash off everything. The idea is to get maximum skin exposure to the UV rays without overdoing it, of course.
- Wear Protective Goggles: Tanning Salons mostly provide protective eye gear to shield them from radiation. Make sure you wear them and keep your eyes closed while tanning. Remove your glasses or contacts before tanning since UV rays from Tanning Beds damage lenses and glasses.
- Communicate with Salon Staff: It’s not enough if you just research. Be open and communicative with the staff at the Tanning Salon. Seek their advice on the appropriate tanning bed and any tips or suggestions they may have to offer. Ensure that you do not exceed the prescribed tanning time to avoid having your skin burnt.
- Don’t run to the shower immediately after your tanning session. If you are using a Bronzer, you need to wait for a few hours for the Bronzer to do its work.
- Take a light shower and wash off excess Tanning Lotion without scrubbing hard. Don’t exfoliate your skin after tanning. It is recommended to wait for 3 hours before you shower unless you feel an itch.
- After you’re done with your Tanning Session, use a moisturiser over your skin to prevent drying and cracking.
Preserving your Tan
You can’t keep your Tan forever, period. But you can ensure that you don’t accelerate the fading process by taking a few cautionary steps:
- Don’t shower excessively.
- Don’t use harsh soaps or chemicals over the tan.
- Don’t scrub hard or exfoliate your skin for at least a week after tanning.
- It’s best to shower with warm water.
- Use a mild soap or body wash.
- Apply a moisturised every day. Moisturising not only slows down fading, it also keeps your skin from drying.
Few can afford time and patience enough to spend hours out sunbathing. It’s better to spare some time between applying the lotion and going inside the Tanning Bed to feel the full effect of the Tanning Lotion. There are many varieties of Indoor Tanning Lotion like Lotions Sprays, Bronzing Lotions, Moisturizing Lotions, etc. The type of product you select depends on your skin colour and skin type. Some lotions require you to wait for a specific number of hours before jumping in to the tanning bed or taking a shower. It’s always better to read the back label very carefully.
Tanning is immensely popular everywhere, and Brown is the desired skin shade for all Beach goers and Summer Vacationers. It’s important to understand that each person is unique and will react differently to different products. Different products have different Pros and Cons. We will never know the product that best suits our skin type without trying. A skin patch test is the most helpful way to determine whether it’s safe to use a particular Indoor Tanning Lotion or not.
Indoor Tanning Parlors are immensely popular because they result in a deep, dark tan that doesn’t fade away easily. While its true that constant exposure to Ultraviolet rays is harmful to skin, Tanning Beds are not as harmful as sun exposure. Nevertheless, if you exercise caution and take care of your skin well, there is no reason why your tanning session should be anything less than joyful.
Many factors like price and skin type play an important role in choosing the best brand and product for you. If you’re wondering about the science behind Indoor Tanning lotions, you should know that they essentially promote melanin production in skin thus hastening tanning. It does this by increasing blood flow in the applied areas leading to melanin production through Melanocytes.
They should not however be confused with sunscreen lotions since they offer no sun protection and are solely made for indoor use. In the same way, sunscreen lotions should not be used for indoor tanning since they’re solely meant for sun tanning. Before diving straight into using a brand new Indoor Tanning Lotion, make sure you perform a skin patch test to determine whether it’s right for your skin and to eliminate the risk of rashes or burns.